Sour Cherry Jam is one of my favorite and this year I started using an easy recipe that works pretty much with any other fruit (I also tried it with strawberry and it was delicious).
My kids had sour cherry jam with a toasted bagel this morning and they loved it.
I had about 4 pounds of pitted sour cherries but the recipe will work for any quantity of fruit you have and consider half that quantity for sugar.
- 4 pounds pitter sour cherries (I pre-ordered them pitted from a local farm)
- 2 pounds sugar
- fruit pectin (i used Dr. Oetker Gelfix fruit pectin Dr. Oetker Gelierzucker 500g – Gelling Sugar 17.6o , however use this as directed on the pack, some might require even less sugar)
- 1 cup of rum
- 5 – 8oz Canning Jars
The preparation is pretty easy:
- boil the fruit for about 20 minutes and keep stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan (you do not need to add any water as the fruit will leave some juice as it heats up)
- heat the oven at 275 F and place the clean jars inside without the lids for about 10 minutes
- add the sugar mixed with the pectin to the boiling fruit and let it boil for another 5-10 minutes, keep stirring
- carefully remove the hot jars from the oven, and pour the hot jam inside
- rinse the inside of the lids with rum and close the jars ( the jars are very hot so be careful handling them)
- cover the jars with a blanket and leave them cool for about 24-48 hours