The sweet Plum Dumplings are a fall favorite in our household. They can be served as dessert or main dish. I’ve seen variations of this recipe in Romania, Austria, Croatia and Hungary. It’s simply delicious and makes a good snack for kids’ lunches too.
I remember few years back when one of my daughters just started walking and climbing everything we found her on the kitchen table eating a plum dumpling. To this day this is one of her favorite dishes.
This recipe goes well with the late August plums.
Ingredients (for 20-25 dumplings)
- 8 medium sized potatoes (washed, boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 12 plums – washed, cut in half and pitted
- 4 cups plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- Boil potatoes, peel, mash and let them cool
- Wash the plums, cut in half around the circumference, take the pit out and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 TBS sugar on top and set aside
- Place a large pot of water on to boil
- Place bread crumbs in a large skillet and brown. Let it cool and mix the bread crumbs with the rest of the sugar and cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, eggs, flour. Place the dough in the fridge for half hour otherwise you will need more flour when you are molding the dough around the plums
- Cut pieces of the dough and mold them around each plum
- Place the dumplings in the boiling water (they will rise on top of the water once they are cooked – about 15 minutes)
- Spoon the dumplings out of the boiling water, drain and coat them with bread crumbs