Here is the recipe for a quick, easy and delicious dessert that my mother used to make all the time when I was little. In Romanian we call it Lapte the Pasare (Bird’s Milk); I also found this dish in the Hungarian cuisine – Madartej.
It tastes great if served chilled and it’s very refreshing for a hot summer day.
- 34oz milk (1 liter) for the pudding and another 17oz milk (500 ml) to boil the egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (200 grams)
- 2 spoons of flour
- vanilla extract
- Beat the egg whites until stiff
- Mix the egg yolks with sugar, flour, milk, and vanilla extract and boil it until it gets the consistency of a pudding. You then transfer it in a bowl that you can refrigerate.
- Boil the rest of the milk (17oz) and with a spoon you take part of the egg whites (meringue dumplings) and boil it in the milk few seconds on each side. You take each meringue dumpling and put it over the pudding
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight
- Serve Chilled