Eclairs are one of my favorite desserts. If you only tried the mini-frozen eclairs that you find at the grocery store you have not tried the real thing. So give this recipe a try and you will never buy the frozen eclairs ever again.
Eclairs are made with the Choux Pastry which is used for different French pastries as well as savory appetizers. There is no sugar in the choux pastry, the sweetness of the eclairs comes from the cream and the chocolate glaze.
Choux Pastry Ingredients (for about 25-30 mini eclairs):
- 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 7 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise and scraped (if you do not have vanilla bean you can use vanilla extract)
- 2 TBSP butter
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- In a medium saucepan add Water, Milk, Butter, Salt and bring to a boil over medium heat
- Once the butter melted you can add the flour; use a wooden spoon to stir, you will notice that the dough will start to come together and will separate from the walls of the pan. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes to cook the flour and release moisture.
- Allow the dough to cool and use an electric mixer to help incorporate the eggs. Start by beating the dough and add 1 egg at a time. Make sure to allow each egg to fully incorporate before adding the next one
- Pipe the choux pastry on a baking sheet – you can do mini eclairs or regular size, the round ones are also pretty popular among the tiny humans in my home.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the shells cool and work on the cream
- Using an electric mixer combine all the cream ingredients except for the butter (you can also whisk everything directly in a saucepan if you prefer but make sure there are no flour lumps)
- Add the mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Continue to whisk all the time otherwise it will stick to the bottom.
- Once the custard thickens add the butter and stir.
- Let the cream cool
- To fill the eclairs you can either cut a slit in the top of each eclair and spoon the filling into the shells or you can use a pastry tip to poke 2-3 holes through the bottom of the shell and pipe the cream inside.
- The last step is the glazing – place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until chocolate melts and icing is smooth. Spoon/ Brush glaze over eclairs or dip the top half of the eclairs into the chocolate glaze.
Let them cool and serve!
Here is a picture from last October when I went to France. All the pastries looked amazing, you don’t even need to taste them to see how good they are. Not to mention there were pastry shops at every corner. Look at those eclairs!!!