This Bread is crusty on the outside with a soft and delicious inside. The ingredients and recipe is not very different from a traditional bread recipe however the way it’s baked in a covered dutch oven is what gives it the beautiful looks and the crusty texture.
All you need is 4 ingredients – flour / water / yeast and salt and a little patience because you need to leave it rise overnight. However, a warm piece of bread, right out of the oven, with some butter will be the perfect start to the day. I already made this bread 3 times this week and I think I got them all used with waking up to a house smelling like the best bakery in town.
I think the most important ingredient to the bread is the flour, I always give each dough recipe a try with two different flour types to see which works better. So give this recipe a try and I am sure it will be the best bread you ever had!
- 5 cups flour
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 TBSP dry yeast
- 1 TBSP salt
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and stir with a spoon until everything is well combined. The dough will be sticky and wet so don’t try to give it any shape, just let it be.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight. After at least 8 hours you will notice the dough is at least double in size, bubbly and flattened on top which means it’s ready to go in the oven.
- Place the empty Dutch oven (with the lid on) in the oven and preheat the oven at 450 degrees F. Let the dutch oven heat for at least 30 minutes so it’s nice and toasty.
- On a floured surface shape the dough into a ball and let it sit until the Dutch oven is hot
- Remove Dutch oven from the oven, sprinkle with flour and place the dough inside. cover and put back in the oven with the lid on for 30 minutes (make sure to use oven mitts as the Dutch oven is very hot)
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and let the bread bake for 30 more minutes. If you prefer a light brown crust you can change the baking process to 40 minutes with lid and 20 minutes without. Either way this bead is just delicious.
- Remove from oven, cover with a towel and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes before serving