I’ve been planning to post this recipe for quite some time now. This is a long time favorite in our home and I love it because you can always change the filling and make it look like a totally new dish. Some of our favorite fillings for sweet crepes are Nutella, nutella and bananas, honey and chopped walnuts, lemon curd and berries, jam, sugar.
You can also do a savory variation – usually I replace 1/3 of the milk quantity with tomato juice and add fresh herbs to the mixture. For savory crepes filling we like sauteed mushrooms and onion, cheese and ham, cheese and fresh herbs.
Ingredients (for about 15-17 crepes):
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 1 TBSP oil or melted butter
- Oil spray or butter for coating the pan
- Whisk everything together and leave the batter in the refrigerator for a couple hours or overnight.
- Heat a small non-stick pan (I usually use my cast iron pan)
- Spray oil or butter the pan and add half a cup of batter. The batter needs to cover the pan without being too thick. You will need to shake the pan a bit to spread the batter and cover evenly
- Cook for about 20-30 seconds on one side, flip it over and cook for 10-15 seconds
- Lay the crepes flat on top of each other on a plate as you cook them
- Add your favorite filling, roll them, fold them and enjoy!