Since this is the lent season I thought I would post an old-time Eastern European classic meat recipe, without meat – Rice Stuffed Cabbage.
Here is a really easy and delicious recipe. The same ingredients go well for stuffed tomatoes or stuffed zucchini.
- 7-8 peppers
- 1 pounds ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups uncooked rice
- Half chopped onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 bunch chopped dill
- 1 bunch chopped parsley
- 1 can tomato paste
- Clean peppers – remove tops, seeds, and membranes
- Arrange peppers in a dish standing upright – you can either bake it or cook it on top of the stove
- Mix the meat, eggs, rice, onion, dill, salt and pepper
- Stuff the peppers
- Cover with water mixes with the tomato paste
- Add parsley on top and cook until the peppers are tender
- Serve with sour cream
I grew up eating polenta and I never had enough of it. Part of our family tradition was that every Sunday morning we would eat polenta with feta cheese, eggs, country fries, and a tomato sausage sauce. I know it doesn’t sound like breakfast but I would eat this every morning.
In Romania polenta (mamaliga) is often used as a substitute for bread. I personally like it warm and mixed with cheese, but many people also eat it cold.