Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
Has anyone started thinking about their Thanksgiving menu? This salad is the perfect addition. It’s just a handful of simple ingredients but the sweet roasted butternut squash goes so well with the kale and the pomegranate seeds.
This salad has everything you need this fall – first it looks absolutely amazing! the perfect blend of colors on and flavors on your table plus it’s good for your body -Butternut is full of taste and vitamin A /Kale is high in fiber / Pomegranates are rich in Vitamin C, potassium and fiber / The pumpkin and sun flower seeds are also full of vitamins and minerals. You can eat this salad and feel good about it.
The salad is easy to make but you can also roast the butternut squash in advance and mix with the rest of the ingredients when you serve it.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish)
- 1 small butternut squash
- 5 oz. pgk Kale
- 1/4 cups sun flower seeds
- 1/4 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP. lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Roast the butternut squash (cut it in half, spoon out the seeds and put it in a pan face down; add a cup of water and roast until squash is tender and lightly browned)
- Let the squash cool, remove the skin and cut in small cubes
- Cut the kale leaves into fine strips and place in a salad bowl
- Add the EVOO and lemon juice and, using your hands, massage the kale to soften
- Add the butternut squash, seeds and season with salt and pepper